Built in 1858 - National Register of Historic Places 1979
South Main Street Memphis, Missouri - Phone: 660-465-2259
Complex: Downing House Museum, Boyer House, Memphis Train Depot & Pheasant Aircraft Co.
THE SUMMER KITCHEN
Built in 2003, the summer kitchen contains artifacts of the 1850 era. Originally it was used by slaves for cooking and canning for the Downing Family that consisted of 12 children, 2 adults and 12 slaves. Summer kitchens were not attached to the original house due to the danger of fire and to keep the main house cooler in the summer.